Lecturer in Pastoral Theology
- Doctor of Philosophy, Homiletics, Flinders University, 2011.
- Master of Divinity, Wartburg Theological Seminary, Dubuque, Iowa, 2003.
- Graduate Diploma in Religious Education (Religion Studies), SACAE Underdale (now UniSA), 1989.
- Graduate Diploma in Education, Hartley CAE (now UniSA), 1979.
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Adelaide, 1978.
Tanya has worked in community service, the environmental sector and in population health; her previous roles include chaplain, counsellor, training facilitator, ministry associate, manager, program director, lecturer. She defines herself as a church nerd and loves liturgy, loves preaching (even listening to others preach), and has a passion for pastoral care. She loves learning. And teaching. And mentoring.
She currently has responsibility at the college for topics in pastoral theology and practice, including homiletics and pastoral care.
Before coming to the college in late 2014 as the Postgraduate Coordinator, Tanya was teaching at the University of Adelaide where she coordinated a number of programs in Public Health, and in Counselling and Psychotherapy, and lectured in public health, bioethics (at Flinders University as well) and in narrative practice.
Tanya’s doctoral research examined preaching in the light of a narrative epistemology. Her key research interests are in homiletics, pastoral care, gender and sexuality, ecclesiology, education and formation, but she is fascinated by all manner of things so delights in multidisciplinary research.
Tanya and her husband, Leigh Newton (a songwriter and a primary school teacher) delight in their permeable (or is it elastic-bordered?) family.
Courses Taught at ACD:
- Theology for Ministry
- Pastoral Care
- Caring Practices of the Church
- Christian Ethics
- Homiletics, pastoral care, formation
- Congregation/faith community response to crisis
- Wittwer, Tanya (2020) “Pastoral Considerations for a Pandemic”, Stimulus: The New Zealand Journal of Christian Thought and Practice 27(3).
- Wittwer, Tanya (2019) “Subordination and headship: a case study in Lutheran hermeneutics” Lutheran Theological Journal 53:1, 22–38.
- Wittwer, Tanya (2015) “’Like offering an apple to a child’: Bonhoeffer on preaching.” Lutheran Theological Journal 49:2
- Wittwer, Tanya (2012) “Devotions for October” in Time Out: Come Holy Spirit Edited by David Strelan. Adelaide: ACR.
- Wittwer, Tanya (2010) “God’s Story and my story: meaning and the personal narrative” Studia Homiletica 7 Preaching – does it make a difference? Edited by Henning Thomsen & Mogens Lindhard. Frederiksberg: Aros Forlag.
- Wittwer, Tanya (2009) “The Authority of Scripture, Women’s Ordination and the Lutheran Church of Australia” Journal of Lutheran Ethics 9.12.
- Wittwer, Tanya and Robert J Kempe (2008) “Who’s writing about preaching these days?” LTJ 42:3, 161-64